Friday, August 9, 2013

A Bouquet of Flowers

A couple of weeks ago while sorting through the last of the things in the scrapbooking room I found some fabric roses that I learned how to make years ago when I worked at the City of Longview. They make a great gift for a quilter since they consist of a fat quarter that the quilter can add to their stash.

You take a fat quarter and fold it so it is about 5 inches wide and then you start at one end folding it around and around making petals as you go. You fasten it with a fancy corsage pin (JoAnn's.) It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. I was originally taught to make stems out of cardboard which you then covered with green florist tape. You lay them out in a long box and then give a quilter the bouquet of fat quarters. Dresses them up quite a bit! These were my samples so I decided to make them more permanent and bought stems at JoAnn's and put three stems at a time together covering them with florist tape. I also purchased leaves which I then attached with a second layer of florist tape on the stem after first attaching the rose on top. I have bad kitties who like to eat real flowers, leaves, and stems so this is a perfect answer. I think if I give someone fat quarters again I will do it with stems and leaves because I really like how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment