Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Certificate in Genealogy from the University of Washington

They are now accepting applications, and I have decided to sign up for the 2014-2015 Certificate in Genealogy program at the University of Washington. It starts September 25, 2014 and go until June 4, 2015. There is never going to be a really good time to devote every Thursday evening to something for nine months so I might as well do it now before I retire since I work about a half hour away from the University of Washington and I won't be able to afford to stay in this area once I retire.

http://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/genealogy-family-history.html

From the website:

Learn to do professional-level genealogical research into your family history. Work with an array of resources  including cemetery, military and naturalization records  to help you uncover fascinating stories about your ancestors. Conduct research that illuminates the political, economic and social context of your family’s past. Interpret historical documents and photographs. Develop interviewing techniques. Gain problem-solving strategies to overcome investigative roadblocks. Produce a substantial narrative of your family’s unique story.
  • Development and completion of a personal research project
  • One-on-one consultation with instructors and written feedback on projects
  • Access to databases and interlibrary loan at UW libraries
The application process required a credit card (of course!) a 250 word letter of application your experience doing genealogical research and the areas of family history you intend to explore in your final project and a resume describing education and applicable experience. I was very disappointed when it did not ask for my student ID# - which I have remembered for 43 years - 7135351.

The total cost of the program for nine months and 9 Continuing Education Credits is $2,337 which is a $50 application fee, tuition of $719 per quarter and a $44 per quarter registration fee. This is a bit more than my first year at $150 for 15 credits per quarter and my second through fourth years at $188 per quarter.

My son thinks it is a waste of money - that I could just learn on my own and my daughter laughed when I told her I was going to sign up. Not sure of what to think of that. I am certainly hoping that I am going to enjoy it. I do know that back in the day - a very nice, retired gentleman was taking a class every quarter and really enjoyed it. I would meet with him to help him with the math in Astronomy class.

No comments:

Post a Comment