Sunday, January 12, 2014

One Year Anniversary

Today is the first anniversary of my blog. I managed to do 82 posts - and that was with skipping October entirely. I didn't get as much sewing and quilting done as I had hoped but I have gotten a lot of things organized! I now know what I have as far as sewing, quilting, scrapbooking, and genealogy materials - and I know what I have to do. Unfortunately, my biggest challenge to getting things done is having to work 40 plus hours per week.

Friday was my Aunt Dorothy Irene's 79th birthday and Saturday would have my father Lionell's 94th had he lived (he died in 1982 at age 62.)  His mother Ruby had been in labor for a week and the doctor could not hear the baby's heartbeat any longer so he decided since it no longer mattered and because Ruby needed some sleep that he knocked her out morphine. Ruby later complained that during her long week of labor the doctor partied and drank with men folk while they waited. When Ruby came to, Dorothy was kicking and Ruby was back in labor. When Dorothy was born on January 10, 1935, she had a long, narrow head from being in the birth canal for so long. After three boys the girl was unexpected, Ruby was exhausted and out of it, so the men were trying to figure out what to name the baby. Lionell asked if he could name her since his 15th birthday was the next day. He named her Dorothy after a girl he was either dating or fond of. The Irene was after her father's sister. Lionell and Dorothy were very close in spite of the difference in their ages. On September 14, 2013, she and her husband Dick celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary - with five children and many grand and great grandchildren.


No comments:

Post a Comment